I do not endorse this movie “LIMELIGHT” . I don’t understand how they can justifiably use my name or footage of me dancing at a rave in Baltimore in their film, produced by the club owners daughter. Anyone who knew me in the early 90’s knows I was loudly vocal about boycotting the Limelight since day one because at the debut of “disco 2000” , I was in the dj booth ,when the owner’s wife stormed in and told Supa DJ Dmitry to stop playing “black music” adding ” what do you think this is, Harlem? ” . Me and the dj walked out immediatly after those frogs and creepy crawlers slithered out of her lipglossed mouth like a grim fairytale ugly princess character. For years , I had heard from so many black and latino youth that they were turned away at the door.
Of course there were a few people of color let in but most were turned away because ” they weren’t dressed right” only to return in their most put-together looks to be turned away once again. I would taunt my friends who worked there asking them why they would participate in such a bad environment that was pushing special k to underage suburban white kids - but the answer was always ”they paid well” . I also resent the Limelight because they secretly owned ”Project x” magazine which seemed to dictate what was happening in NYC clubs and always put “disco 2000” on top.
Thank god THAT ugly part of NYC mid 90’s club culture came to a screaching halt after it was discovered michael alig was found guilty of a hammer bashing murder which including pouring drano down the mouth and hacking his victim into pieces before throwing his body in the hudson river. I was surprised “party monster’ never used the obvious metaphor in their film of an Angel being sacrificed in the church of pranks and debauchery.
Along with their rotten door policy , themes such as “bloodbath” had a huge impact in ruining NYC club culture and was part of the reason i moved to London in 1995 and stayed nearly a decade. SO……to find out that the movie has bought and edited footage of me dancing at a rave in baltimore to use in the film is shamefull as well as dropping my name in the interviews . I never saw the movie but if you see my cheerful face throwing down to the early 90’s sounds remember„„I was not a regular at LIMELIGHT and only remember going to disco 2000 three times. I wanted to set the record straight….I hated that club and most everything it stood for except for the innocent kids who went out to have fun and my many friends who worked there.
p.s. thanks Mike Mills for selling me out. I’ll be contacting you to send me a copy of the release form you must have made me sign. If you don’t have it- youll be hearing from my lawyer.
Tagged as: limelight. racist door policy. limelight the movie. mike mills. Chloe Sevigny. Jeremy Scott. The press release mentions my name but a.
- xn----slbefavdc9aecr2ax8cfbiip9g reblogged this from theladymisskier
- trampoline8w reblogged this from theladymisskier
- yaoirabbit likes this
- scotchka-n-roundtine reblogged this from newlabelnewlabor and added:
- newlabelnewlabor reblogged this from theladymisskier and added:
- notcontenttojustbelieve likes this
- dallesandro likes this
- expatmichael reblogged this from theladymisskier
- cruiseorbecruised likes this
- jonnodotcom likes this
- penisennui reblogged this from billytum and added:
- crocodileblackpelvis reblogged this from youngmanhattanite
- banji-realness likes this
- billytum reblogged this from theladymisskier and added:
- lunar likes this
- handsumdeville likes this
- theleadingblacks reblogged this from theladymisskier and added:
- fucktheory likes this
- theleadingblacks likes this
- icantbreathebecauseofreasons said: bloody hell, you are really and utterly pissed!! i do understand why though. i haven’t seen the movie and have no intention to see it whatsoever. :)
- awordofvice likes this
- dumpsterdisco reblogged this from theladymisskier and added:
- theheatwave reblogged this from sabao-spray
- crocodileblackpelvis likes this
- kelegraph likes this
- adugas likes this
- vivalabeea likes this
- jennyknifefight likes this
- tesselaa reblogged this from ericmortensen
- recklessresonance likes this
- jessiepeterson reblogged this from theladymisskier
- sabao-spray reblogged this from hitmeupman
- sabao-spray likes this
- nervousacid likes this
- abenig reblogged this from theladymisskier
- abenig likes this
- onespublicreview reblogged this from theladymisskier
- justwannaeat likes this
- popularfavorites likes this
- yesyesyesthisthisthis reblogged this from missbhavens and added:
- aatombomb reblogged this from ericmortensen and added:
- thedorseyshawexperience reblogged this from youngmanhattanite
- youngmanhattanite reblogged this from ericmortensen and added:
- gothsummer reblogged this from ericmortensen
- missbhavens reblogged this from ericmortensen
- magicalbagofghosts likes this
- ericmortensen reblogged this from theladymisskier
- jakefogelnest said: Oh, you mean NOT Studio 54?
- thebadmonkey said: When you guys moved to Webster Hall, so many of us from Limelight were sent there to “keep tabs”.I never knew why the kept liking me after I actually promoted you, but they did.I always loved you for keeping the light alive during those strange days.